Friday, October 4, 2013

Senior Project- Forest Inventory at Hat Creek



Hello, 

My name is Clay Brock I am a senior at Fall River Jr. Sr. High school. I am doing my senior project with California Trout. A senior project is a requirement to graduate from Fall River High school. It involves 20 hours of volunteer work and has to do with something that helps out the community. My senior project is with Cal Trout and I am continuing with the work that I did this summer as part of the Hat Creek Youth Initiative. I worked for the Hat Creek Youth Initiative for 8 weeks and completed pre-project monitoring for the restoration project at Hat Creek. 



For my senior project,  I am doing Riparian Forest inventory quality control and double checking the plots that we completed this summer. Forest Inventory gives us an idea of what type of trees, how old they are and how big they are that are in a certain area. We did forest inventory plots on the Right stream-bank of Hat Creek from Wood Duck Island to Hwy. 299 Bridge. 

How we took data for the forest inventory was we first measured the Diameter at Breast Heights (DBH)and then determined the species of the tree. If the tree was a Conifer and had a diameter larger than 4.5 inches then we would take a core sample to tell how old the tree was. After all of this we would then find the height of the tree by either using a clinometer or a laser. We counted all of the trees within a 1/10th acre plot that had a diameter greater than 1” and were taller than 4.5’ high. 
 
We completed 13 plots during the Hat Creek Youth Initiative. Doing Riparian Forest inventory quality control double checks the data that has already been taken and makes sure there were no mistakes.  I helped quality check 20% of the plots completed by the HCYI. I chose to do this as my senior project/summer job because I found it to be beneficial for a career path further down the road. It also looks good on resumes. I enjoyed this summer and learned very useful information and I hope to be back at it next year. 

Thanks, 

Clay Brock

No comments:

Post a Comment